We would like to invite papers related to the broad conference theme of improving customer relationships in the public and private sectors. The conference will highlight methods that enhance the language and design of documents, web pages and other information to improve accessibility and usability.
The 11th PLAIN conference continues the work of previous conferences (see http://plainlanguagenetwork.org/), which attracted a large number of participants to share knowledge and generate new ideas and initiatives.
In particular, we welcome participants from central European countries to promote and disseminate plain language activities there.
We invite proposals for papers and presentations on topics such as:
- The contribution of plain language to customer relationships and the impact on organizational efficiency and business outcomes.
- The theory and practice of plain language and the methods for rewriting and improving communication.
- Examples of successful plain language practice in fields, such as:
Law | Health | Finance | Social and community service | Technology
- The relationship between plain language and other fields, such as information design, usability or technical writing.
- The improvement of communication for people with special needs and to maximise accessibility.
- The promotion of plain language through laws and regulations and in new languages and countries.
Suggestions for other topics are welcome!
Formats for papers and presentations
- Individual presentations or talks (20 minutes)
- Individual workshops (60 minutes)
- Group workshop or information session with several speakers (90 minutes)
- Group panel with several speakers on a single topic (45 minutes)
- Talks with authors presenting their books
- All proposals should be written in English and should address one or more of the above mentioned conference objectives.
- Please use the proposals template that you can download here.
- Convert your text into a pdf-file and upload it under program/abstracts where you will be redirected to the conference administration system. You must create an account and log in, in order to upload your abstract.
Length of abstracts
- Abstracts for 20-minutes papers should not exceed 3.000 characters (1 page A4) including 4 keywords. Suggested topics for presentations: see above.
- Abstracts for 90-minute workshops should not exceed 5.000 characters (1.5 page A4) including 4-8 keywords. Workshop organizers should outline the overall structure of the workshop and provide names of the participants.
- Please include a short biography (500 characters)
Anyone is invited to submit proposals until 30 March 2017.
Notification of acceptance: 15-30 April 2017.
The conference languages will be English and German and simultaneous translation for a selected number of presentations will be available between them.